Jun 5, 2015

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo


4.5 stars • 368 pages • Done June 2, 2015
Published by Henry Holt and Co • June 5th 2012
Young Adult • Fantasy • Adventure

I've expected this book to be good, but I didn't anticipate that I won't be able to put this down!  It was good, with two lengthy scenes - the first was when Alina first displayed her power, and the second was when she and Mal was trekking to get away from the Darkling and tracking down the Morozova's herd. At first, I was leaning towards the Darkling as her mate (and comparing it to Death of the Arcana Chronicles).  But, considering the Darkling's intention somewhere along the book, I went back to Mal, with whatever little romance going on between them.  

After reading this book, I've read reviews that critically bashed the language, the names, the whatnots.  But people, THIS IS A FANTASY.  Anybody can do and write anything they can in their book!  Some have issues on its technicalities, I've had issues with Alina's prowess (because, really, that's all she can do?), and the non-existent romance that was squeezed at the end,  but I commend this for IMAGINATION, which this book did deliver.  

Would I follow through? Definitely.  I want to see Alina bloom, the Darkling humbled, and Mal, some sense of a love story, and not an attachment.


No comments:

<center>2016 Reads</center>

JANUARY Sorceress (Spellcaster #3) by Claudia Gray | 352pp | 01.21.16 | A+ Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike | 290pp | 01.25.16 | A++ ...